Southern Arizona Arts and Cultural Alliance is one of my favorite non-profits in Tucson. Over the years they’ve developed a deep support of arts in all forms, including food.
This week is one of SAACA’s biggest fund raisers – Savor – Southern Arizona Food & Wine Festival, which this year includes three separate events.
Tonight at Monarch Premium Appliance site is Sweet Charity where folks can enjoy cakes, candies, pies, ice cream, cotton candy and much, much more (I think the chocolate/candies chile pepper pate sounds divine.) Confectioners from all over the area will be there as will local wineries and breweries. If you don’t know which wine pairs with lemon bars, here’s the place to find out. Monarch is located at 3850 N. Orange Grove Road. The event runs from 6pm-8pm. Contact SAACA for tickets.
Then on Thursday February 1st, SAACA teams with GUT (Gastronomic Union of Tucson) for a bit of New Orleans in Tucson, CARNIVAL. The best chefs in Tucson will be collaborating and serving fabulous food from the world over. The following is just a small sample of what you’ll find. Cost is $45 and monies raised will support not just SAACA bur the Rialto Theater, where CARNIVAL is being held.
- Dirty South Mudbug Rolls n’Gutzz
- Smoked ‘gator boudin sausage with creole mustard
- Green gumbo & grilled kale garlic rice
- Brazilian Feijoada
- Pao de Quiejo
- Yuca Fries
- Molho Rose
- Smokey duck boudin balls with kumquat remoulade
- BBQ shrimp & pork belly poboys with charred pickle slaw
- Chicory, celery & chicken heart salad with crispy onions and buttermilk vinaigrette
- Stuffed fresh water shrimp head with a Shrimp mousse
- Corn flour tempura with Smoked chimichurri
- Beef Roulade with charred green onion, pickled carrots, bacon, avocado and Serrano cream
- Coconut flan, filo crisp and sous vide candied plantain topped with a coconut lace garnish.
- Heritage Red Beans and Carolina Gold Rice and Pickled Pork
- Alligator Gumbo, Cajun Trinity, and Tasso Ham
- Fresh Beignet “Fosters” au Foie
Music will be a big part of the evening.
Then on Saturday is the big SAVOR where many of the same participants from the other events at Tucson Botanical Gardens. This is a can’t miss event. The Botanical Gardens are a Tucson treasure and all the food and wine here will be top notch. Tickets are $75. Contact SAACA to purchase tickets.