Some locals bemoan the coming of summer with its 100°+ temperatures but I love summer in Tucson. Everything slows down, students and snowbirds leave and Kingfisher begins their Road Trips.
The three chefs, Jim Murphy, Jeff Azersky and Fred Harris divide the United States into six geographical areas and then by the luck of the draw they each create menus for whichever area they pull from the hat. Each get two and the rotation is mixed every year. Each menu runs for approximately two weeks. Chef Marianne Banes creates the desserts.
It’s a lot of fun and an easy way to taste great American regionally inspired dishes without the wear and tear that seems to be a big part of traveling these days.
First up is Murph and the following Southwest menu.
“SOUTHWEST TOUR” ~ May 27 – June 14
- Baked Gulf Oysters, “Rocky Point” house Reposado tequila, cilantro pesto, Casera cheese. (5) 15
- Seafood Albondigas soup, seafood meatballs, shellfish tomato broth, corn rajas. 8
- Marinated Grilled Quail Spinach Salad, sage vinaigrette, avocado, roasted peppers and chiles, grape tomatoes, toasted walnuts. 14
- Tortilla “Lasagne” layered flour tortilla, poblano, red peppers, avocado, goat cheese, tomatillo sauce, and pico de gallo. 10
- Pan Seared Lenguado, cilantro-lime butter sauce, smoked tomato, Achiote Texmati rice, jicama slaw, grilled squash. 26
- Braised Beef Shortribs, roasted tomatillo-green chile sauce, black bean masa cake, roasted cauliflower, pickled onion. 24
- Grilled ½ Duckling, chile rojo, calabacitas, Texmati rice, verduras en escabeche. 22
- Grilled Shrimp (6) Torta, chipotle aioli, Texmati rice, charro beans, marinated cabbage, Casera cheese, pickled onion. 21
- New Mexico Green Chile Apple Pie, walnut streusel, caramel sauce, vanilla ice cream. 8
- Ibarra Chocolate Flan, Mexican wedding cookies, whipped cream 8
- Black Hole Sun: Del Bac “Dorado” Mesquite Smoked Whiskey, Fernet Branca, house praline liqueur, house pecan bitters, on the rocks, crushed pecan garnish. 10.50
- Cilantro es muy famosa: Del Maguey “Vida” Mezcal, Luxardo Maraschino liqueur, Campari cilantro syrup, lime juice, Tajin rim, on the rocks. 10.50
- Mother Road, “Gold Road,” Kolsch Style Ale, 12 oz. 6
- Keeling Schaefer, Viognier, Arizona, 2013. 8
The rest of the tour can be found below. Menus will be posted on the website in a timely manner.
June 15th – June 29th – Pacific Northwest, Chef Fred Harris
- Kingfisher will be closed from June 30 through July 13
- July 14th – July 26th – Great Plains, Chef Jeff Azersky
July 27th – August 9th – California/Hawaii, Chef Fred Harris
- August 10th – August 23rd – Back East, Chef Jeff Azersky
August 24th – September 4th – Down South, Chef Jim Murphy
This is the 23rd year of the Road Trip and reservations are strongly suggested. (323-7739)
Check it out…..